We are a small team of enthusiastic volunteers, on a mission to reduce plastic pollution in our city.
As community leaders, we are determined to help curve the scourge of single-use plastic pollution in our hometown and to gain the Plastic Free Communities award from Surfers Against Sewage, through grassroots action in Preston. That action, you can be a part of! whether it’s a lot or a little, that is up to you, but all allies will be a massive help to the cause!
In order to gain this award we must meet five objectives:
- Involve local government. Their support will be vital in getting plastic pollution down in Preston.
- Speak with local businesses’ and ask them to swap at least three plastic items to more sustainable alternatives. This will make it easier for the whole community to go plastic free and will be a benefit to the businesses as they could save money and will be given a certification by Surfers Against Sewage to show they are a conscientious business.
- Get the community involved. The more people who know about Plastic Pollution and how to do their bit to reduce it, the better. So, please do spread the word and also visit our How to guide for top tips on going single-use plastic free.
- Organise events! So, we will be organising Marina cleans and other fun initiatives to get you guys involved with the project. Please keep an eye out for our events.
- Organise meetings with other interested and influential parties to make sure the campaign is working for everyone involved and to discuss ideas and developments on our journey to plastic free status.